Friday, September 9, 2022

Karachi Diary. Part Six: To Turn, or Not to Turn, Is That a Question?

 I was driving on Khe-Badr earlier today and saw this sign




The first thing that came to my mind was, "Suppose... I don't want to. Tdheirn?" à la that brilliant Fifty Fifty skit "Basheera in Trouble.

But then I got to thinking. This was no ordinary sign. It was not telling me that there was a right turn there. It was actually telling me to turn right. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it was so much deeper and philosophical than it appeared. 

I mean was this sign merely a suggestion or was it commanding me to turn right, as in take the physical turn to my right? Or to turn right as opposed to turning the wrong way? Or right as in right conservative? There was also a road going left. Why didn't the sign say Turn Left as well? And there were several intersections up ahead and before this one. Why was this sign only at this intersection? So many questions. Not enough answers. 

No comments: