Friday, September 9, 2022

Karachi Diary. Part Five: The Chutney Incident

We (my sister, my wife, my son and I) went to Khudda Market at around 2 a.m. for some kabab rolls. I wanted to have both Red Apple and Hot N Spicy to compare so we went to Red Apple first, where my wife, son and I had their chicken chutney rolls. My sister wanted to have some tea, so she ordered a cup from Cafe Pyala nearby. While we were parked there, a bunch of Land Cruisers showed up with their battalions of guards and police officers in tow following them in Vigos of their own. These guys started making too much noise and plus I wanted to try the Hot N Spicy roll next, so I moved the car towards Hot N Spicy, after paying our Red Apple waiter. We also managed to flag down the Cafe Pyala guy and told him to meet us in front of Hot N Spicy since my sister had decided to order some Suleimani paratha somewhere in the middle of all of this. 

As I was driving to Hot N Spicy, I saw this guy in a white shirt follow the car. He came next to me when I had stopped and asked me if I wanted something from Mirchi 360. I said, no, I want Hot N Spicy. A guy in a red shirt came up and I ordered two chicken chutney rolls, one for me and one for my son. As I was ordering, the guy said that it would be an extra Rs. 20 for the chutney. I was like, what? That was unheard of. The guy kept pointing at the menu, showing me where it said that the chutney was Rs. 20 extra but he was pointing to a platter not the kabab rolls. I have been having kabab rolls at Hot N Spicy since 1998 and never have they ever asked me to pay extra for the chutney. Thinking that the guy was trying to scam me, I got out of the car and went up to the counter to ask the guy sitting there. The dude confirmed that they had very recently (like 10 days ago) started charging extra for the chutney. Having no other option - because the sauce is the boss and having the kabab roll without the extra chutney is like watching a movie with the sound off - I ordered two chutneys with the two kabab rolls. 

During this time, while I was in a heated argument with the Hot N Spicy waiter about charging me extra for the chutney, the guy in the white shirt (remember? He was from Mirchi 360) kept talking to me and also to the waiter, trying to give me some pointers on what to do and telling the waiter about how to get the chutney, etc. I got a bit exasperated and asked him, "Tum Hot N Spicy say ho?" To which he replied no, so I said, "Tau phir tum kyon beach mein bol rahe ho bhai?" 

Also while all of this was happening, this little girl came up to the car saying that she only had two pens left and if I could buy them both. I asked the girl if she was hungry, she said yes, so I said I will buy her a roll. 

The guy from Cafe Pyala (remember him?) also showed up somewhere in between and told me that it was ok and that he would get me the chutney for free. I was like it's ok, I don't mind paying for the chutney if that is what it is, I just didn't want to be scammed. 

I tried - in vain - to get the attention of our red-shirted waiter to order another roll for the girl, but he was busy arguing Bob knows what with the Mirchi-360 white-shirt. 

Almost 20 minutes had gone by the time our rolls came, and I had lost my appetite so I ended up giving my roll, along with the chutney, to the girl. After a few minutes, my son handed me back the empty plate; empty except for the small bowl of chutney that he had not even opened.

No comments: