Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Karachi Diary. Part Four: The Bykea Blunder

I've had an upset stomach ever since I got to Karachi (more on that later) and I have to have a steady stash of various medications, including and most importantly ORS sachets, at hand at all times. Last night, at around 1 a.m., I realized that I was out of my trusted electrolytes yet at the same time, I had absolutely no desire to go out and buy some. My sister suggested I use the Bykea app to get someone to buy the ORS for me at the pharmacy and drop it to my house. 

I downloaded the app and thought that it was pretty cool and easy to use. I checked and it said that the closest place to my house that was open and had ORS was Ami's so I placed an order for a Bykea to bring some ORS for me from Ami's. 

At least that's what I thought I did. 

A few minutes later, I got a phone call from the rider saying that he was outside. I went outside and the dude motions with his helmeted head and arm for me to sit behind him on the bike. 

I was like, "Huh?" 

He said, "Sir mein aagaya hoon aap ko lenay. Chalein Ami's." 

Apparently, I had ordered a Bykea to come to my house and instead of bringing the ORS from Ami's to me, I had requested the rider to take me to the ORS at Ami's instead. 

And if you guys are curious, no, I did not take the ride. I canceled it, paid the guy a tip, and used foodpanda to order some coconut water, as no ORS was available on their app.  

No comments: