Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Secret of my 'Healthy' Life

I used to be very thin until I turned 23. I remember that all the time in my late teens and early twenties, I used to weigh not more than a 120 lbs. And at a height of 5'11 3/4'', that's quite thin. My shoulder bones would stick out of the clothes that I would wear and I could almost wrap my hands around my waist, which used to be somewhere in the vicinity of 25-26 inches, but I would tell everyone that it was 28. I would wear two sometimes even three t-shirts inside my shirt so that I could look a little 'blown up'. People would come up to me and say things like, 'oh my god, you are so thin,' 'don't you eat?' 'are you sick?'

I am now 28, almost 29, and lets just say that I am not thin anymore. My height has remained the same but for some reasons unknown to me, the weighing machine always says 175 lbs whenever I stand on it. My face has become larger and rounder and it has been theorized that I have been attacked by a swarm of African killer bees, thereby the stings, and thus the swelling of the cheeks. My waist is now around 36 but I tell everyone that its actually 34. I end up looking like George on Gore-Tex even if I wear the flimsiest of 'banyans' under my shirt. People now come up to me and say things like, 'oh my god, you have gained weight,' 'what are you eating?' 'are you sick?'

The only upshot of this has been that many of my friends and cousins, who are still thin as a stick, come up to me and ask me the secret of how I have 'become so healthy' all of a sudden. To this, I tell them: 'this is Karachi, dude. Anyone can 'blow up' anywhere, anytime.'

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too thin, too fat. Before even hearing of your situation, I often gave advice about "blowing up" to many of my skinny cousins. I would tell them that if they were skinny right now, it was only because they were young and that their genetics were not allowing them to get fat. Their metabolism was too high. It was not because they had healthy physical fitness or eating habits. And I knew all of this because I would look at their overweight, and mostly unhealthy, parents who were all rail thin in their youth. But as soon as they started to approach their 30's, they would all of a sudden "blow up". I am also 29 years old and am currently fighting my bodies desire to also "blow up". I wish you all the best as you try to walk the tight rope between too thin and too fat.

Ali Akbar said...

So true..!!